It is always a pleasure to stand up and discuss our Informatics work in public forum. We always strive to reduce physician burnout and the EHR burden by improving teamwork and practice efficiency. As a side effect, we discovered the principles behind Agile teamwork, reducing waste, and the ideas underlying High Performance Teams (both running one, and teaching clinics how to become one).
The talk is 50 minutes and the podium is shared with my colleague Katie Morrison MD, Director of the WellDOM program (Wellness in the Department of Medicine at University of Colorado) and my colleague Amber Sieja MD, Senior Medical Director of Informatics at UCHealth. I’m grateful for their brilliance and collaboration.
The TL;DR is:
- Sometimes you have to borrow and steal a team to get started
- Get the right people on the bus: a physician informaticist, nurse informaticist, project manager all are crucial
- EHR efficiency is NOT only about physicians: it is about teamwork
- 2-week Sprints are a good timeline: short enough to be urgent, long enough to make some real change in the clinic
- Eventually you’ll discover Agile, Lean, High Performance Team principles. Live them, and teach them to sustain yourselves
CMIO’s Take? TL;DR. Just do it.
2 thoughts on “Improving Wellness via EHR Optimization Sprints and High Performing Teams. WellDOM speaker series with Amber Sieja and Katie Morrison”